Monday, November 21, 2011

INTERVIEW WITH JAIME MOYER FROM "GOOGLE MY TWEET"

Welcome to the newly-relaunched Second City blog! As a new feature, we will post short interviews with some of the hottest and most exciting talent on the Second City Hollywood stage. For our first interview, we realized that there's no one hotter or more exciting than the always-spicy Jaime Moyer. She can be seen in the Second City shows Google My Tweet, Two Beer Queer, Smokehouse, guest-stars with The 313, and her Fancy Catz videos can be seen at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSecondCityNetwork.

Please share your experience studying at Second City. Were there any coaches you particularly learned from?

I studied at The Second City Training Center in Detroit. In the beginning I was a little scared of the freedom improv provided, but I gradually came to embrace and enjoy it. In classes I had wonderful teachers, my favorite being Shawn Handlon. He approached each class with humor and a caring spirit, which I try to achieve in each of my classes as well.

Do you have some memorable moments from your Second City training?

The best memories I have are performing and making friends with my classmates! I am still close with a few people I was in class with. We formed a troupe, Fevered Egos, and still perform together when we're all in the same town. It was the first group I was ever on.

Tell us about your first improv/sketch show. How did you feel about it?

I was cast in the first writing sketch show that the Detroit Training Center produced. It was called "The Deleted Scenes of Ed Benedison", written by writing students, and I was really excited to be performing. My favorite scene was playing a mom chastising her son by talking to him in the rear view mirror.

How do you feel your improv/sketch work has grown since you started?

Time is the best way to grow. The more you improvise and watch improv (both good and bad) the better you will get.

How do you feel your improv/sketch training helps you in other acting jobs, or just life in general?

The skill of saying "yes" is so important in this business. I have to be willing to look foolish, go out on a limb, and feel confident. So I try to "yes, and" every situation (within reason of course).

What do you think are the most important attributes of a strong improvisor?

Listening! And not just to the dialogue but also to the heartbeat of the scene. Be patient, and of course, have fun! If you're having a good time onstage the audience enjoys the show more, every time.

Is there a certain performer or group that you really admire? What do you admire about them?

Too hard, next question, please! There are some many great groups both here and in Detroit I admire, so back off!

Is there something that you do even now to keep your improv/sketch skills sharp?

I improvise whenever I am asked or can.

Do you have some advice for people who may just be starting their improv/sketch training?

Try to keep an open mind, and don't be hard on yourself! Never leave class and drive home lamenting the choices you made. It's a waste of time! The more you learn and perform in class and lab, the better and better you will get! Be patient! And go watch shows whenever possible so you can see the principles we teach play out onstage.

What can you tell me about your "Fancy Catz" YouTube videos, and your process in making them?

When I first moved to L.A. Josh Funk and I had a meeting about filming one of my original characters. Fancy Catz started as an idea where a woman is more of a "stage mom" to her pets. Every Fancy Catz video is improvised off of beats, which means we have an outline for the scenes. There are four videos with a combined total of nearly 500,000 hits.

No comments:

Post a Comment